Following the announcement that Stagecoach is to cut services in our area which has concerned many constituents I recently met with John Gould, Stagecoach Cymru Managing Director and also Scott Pearson, Newport Transport Managing Director in order to relay this concern.
You may now have heard that Newport Transport have made an interim announcement that they hope to take over some services. I enclose an article from last Friday’s Argus but I have also asked Newport Transport for more detail about scheduling. They have a board meeting on the 12th June after which they tell me they will be in a position to publish more detailed information. They have promised to keep me updated so as soon as I have more information I will give a further update
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/11262304.Newport_Bus_to_take_over_axed_Chepstow_services/ Press release on Stagecoach issues
John Griffiths AM and Jessica Morden MP have welcomed the news that Newport Transport will be taking over the running of the former Stagecoach bus routes that served Caldicot, Severnside and Underwood. Mr Griffiths and Ms Morden had held talks with both Newport Transport and Stagecoach last month following news that Stagecoach had decided to cancel the 74 bus service from Newport to Chepstow.
Mr Griffiths said “I’m pleased with this decision. The meeting we had last month with Newport Transport was very positive, and I’m happy they’ve been able to step in and provide routes for those who use the 74 service, as residents had been faced with losing an important transport link entirely.”
Jessica Morden said “It’s great news that Newport Bus have decided to step in to provide much needed services in these areas. I’ve heard from a number of local people who told me how vital these bus services were to their daily lives. I look forward to seeing further details about the service and I hope users and communities will use the consultation to have their say on it.”