In response to the recent increase in the number of Coronavirus cases in Newport, the Welsh Government has introduced new local restrictions to protect people’s health and control the spread of coronavirus.
From 6pm on Tuesday September 22, the following local restrictions came into effect for people living in the Newport local authority area:
- People will not be allowed to enter or leave their local authority areas without a reasonable excuse, such as travel for work or education.
- People will only be able to meet outdoors. People will not be able to meet members of their extended household indoors or form an extended household.
- All licensed premises will have to close at 11pm.
- Everyone over 11 must wear face coverings in indoor public places – as is the case throughout Wales.
The new restrictions coming into force will bring challenges for many of us, but they are a necessary means of addressing the recent rises in cases. During the more restrictive lockdown earlier this year the people of Newport showed we could work together to keep each other safe – I’m confident we’ll do so again.
- Information about local restrictions in Newport (as well as for Rhondda Cynon Taf, Carephilly Borough, Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend and Merthyr Tydfil local authority areas) is availble here: https://gov.wales/local-lockdown. More information is alsoavailable on the Newport City Council website here: https://www.newport.gov.uk/en/Council-Democracy/Coronavirus-COVID-19.aspx
- Public Health Wales provides a daily update about the number of cases of coronavirus in Wales. It is available at: https://covid19-phwstatement.nhs.wales/
- Information about coronavirus is available on the Welsh Government’s website at https://gov.wales/coronavirus and https://llyw.cymru/coronafeirws
- Information about support for businesses is available at the Business Wales website https://businesswales.gov.wales/coronavirus-advice/
- If you can help the effort to produce PPE in Wales please visit https://businesswales.gov.wales/news-and-blogs/news/provision-critical-equipment-and-personal-protection-equipment-ppe
- The Welsh Government holds a regular media briefing about coronavirus. These are on-the-record, on-camera and supported by a BSL translator.
- They are held at 12.30pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and live-streamed on the @WelshGovernment Twitter channel.