The picture shows a £10 note and some pound coins
The picture shows a £10 note and some pound coins

If you’re looking for help and support with the cost of living, why not take a read of the information below.
If you need any help applying for any of the benefits below, please get in touch with the team who will help wherever they can.
Tap here to get in touch.

The Warm Home DiscountHow much is it?£150 per householdWhat is it?You could get £150 off your electricity bill or £150 credit on your prepayment meter for winter 2022 to 2023How do I claim it?You do not need to applyThe eligibility requirements for the Warm Home Discount have changed this winter (2022-23)  and you do not need to apply, even if you applied in previous years. To qualify this year, you need to receive either the Guarantee Credit portion of Pension Credit or a means-tested benefit and have a ‘high energy bill’ as assessed by the Government. The assessment is based on your circumstances and energy supplier as of  21st August 2022.The government and DWP will decide who is eligible and write to you if you are, and then either you will be paid directly, or you will need to contact a dedicated helpline to provide further information.You’ll receive a letter between November 2022 and January 2023 telling you about the discount if you’re eligible – most eligible households will receive an automatic discount. Your letter will say if you need to call a helpline by 28 February 2023 to confirm your details.When will I get it?If you’re eligible, your electricity supplier will apply the discount to your bill by 31 March 2023.How do I find out more?Warm Home Discount Scheme: Overview – GOV.UK ( you have not received a letter and think that you should have, or if the letter says you are not entitled to it and you think you should be, contact the Warm Home Discount helpline before 28 February 2023.Telephone: 0800 107 8002Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pmWales Winter Fuel Support SchemeHow much is it?£200 per householdWhat is it?A one-off payment to one working age household member responsible for the utility bills.You must have been in receipt of certain welfare benefits at any time between 1st December 2021 and 31st January 2022.Please note – you can claim this if someone in the household receives disability benefit, it does not matter if you don’t get another benefit

  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance ( income and contributions based)
  • Employment & Support Allowance (income and contributions based)
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credits
  • PIP/DLA/Attendence Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Council Tax Reduction Scheme

How do I claim it?You may need to applyEveryone who receives Council Tax Reduction should already have received a voucher automatically.Everyone else needs to claim by 5pm of 28th February 2022Apply via your Local AuthorityNewport City Council Tel: 01633 656656Winter Fuel Support Scheme | Newport City CouncilMonmouthshire County Council Tel: 01633 644644Welsh Government Winter Fuel Support Scheme – September 2022 – MonmouthshireWhen will I get it?If you get Council Tax reduction you will have already had it.If you apply you should receive it within 30 days of applyingHow do I find out more? Bills Support SchemeHow much is it?£400 per householdWhat is it?Every household will get £400  How do I claim itYou do not need to applyIf you pay by direct debit you will see a credit of £66 on your energy account for 6 months from October 2022 to March 2023.If you have a pre-payment meter the money will either be automatically credited to your meter or you will get vouchers from your supplier.When will I get it?6 payments will be made between October 2022 to March 2023.How do I find out more?Getting the Energy Bills Support Scheme discount – GOV.UK ( of Living Payment for low income householdsHow much is it? £650 per household April 2022-March 2023 scheme£900 per household April 2023-March 2024 schemeWhat is it?

  • Households on means tested benefits received £650 in 2022, made in two instalments.
  • Households on means tested benefits will £900 in 2023/2024, made in threeinstalments

This includes all households receiving the following benefits:Universal Credit, Income-based Jobseekers Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support,Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit,Pension CreditHow do I claim it?You do not need to applyDWP make the payments to all those eligible automaticallyWhen will I get it?2022-2023 scheme – Payments were made in July and October/November 2022 2023-2024 scheme – Payments will be made in Spring 2023, Autumn 2023 and Spring 2024Disability Cost of Living Payment How much is it?£150 per person in receipt of disability benefitsWhat is it?People who receive the following disability benefits will receive a one-off payment of £150Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Attendance Allowance, Armed Forces Independence Payment, Constant Attendance Allowance, War Pension Mobility SupplementClaimants must be in receipt of, or have begun an eventually successful claim for, one of these benefits as of 25th May 2022 to be eligible for the 2022-2023 payment. Benefit eligibility dates are as yet unavailable for the 2023 scheme.How do I claim it?You do not need to applyPayments will be made automaticallyWhen will I get it?2022-2-23 scheme – Payments were made by October 20222023-2024 scheme – payments will be made in Summer 2023Pensioner Cost of Living PaymentHow much is it?£300 per householdWhat is it?A one off payment for all households who get the Winter Fuel Payment it if they are over State Pension age (aged 66 or above).How do I claim it?You do not need to applyPayments will be made automaticallyWhen will I get it?2022-2023 scheme – All pensioner households should have received it as a top-up to their annual Winter Fuel Payment (see below) in November/December 20222023-2-24 scheme – All pensioner households should receive it as a top-up to their annual Winter Fuel Payment (see below) in November/December 2023Where do I find out more?Cost of Living Payment – GOV.UK ( of low-income households to get new Cost of Living Payments from Spring 2023 – GOV.UK ( Fuel PaymentHow much is it? Between £100-£300 What is it?If you were born on or before 26 September 1955 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. How do I claim it?You do not need to apply unless you have deferred claiming your State PensionYou will get your Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you’re eligible and either get the State Pension orget another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit)When will I get it?If eligible you should have had it in November/December 2022 it may have been paid at the same time as the Pensioner Cost of Living Payment (see above)How do I find out more?Winter Fuel Payment: Overview – GOV.UK ( Fuel Payment Information – YouTubeCold Weather PaymentHow much is it?£25 per household for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.What is it?You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest.You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days. Please note – this is calculated at set weather station locations selected by the government and not for your particular address.How do I claim it?You do not need to applyYou will receive this payment automatically if you are eligible.When will I get it?Within 14 working days of the cold spellHow do I find out more?Cold Weather Payment: Overview – GOV.UK (  Help with water bills:Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water offers a number of schemes to help customers make bills more affordable:

  •  HelpU

How much is it?Your water bill is reduced and capped at £266.47 per year / £22.21 per month / £5.13 per weekWhat is it?Money off your water bill. It makes your water bill lower if you are on a low income. You must be getting an income related benefitHow do I claim it?Contact Dwr Cymru/Welsh water or us to apply

  • WaterSure

How much is it?Your water bill is reduced to £374.01 per year / £31.17 per month /  £7.20 per weekWhat is it?Lower bills for households with 3 or more children or where someone in the home has to use more water because of a medical condition (eg incontinence, skin conditions, for pain relief)Someone in the household needs to receive either based benefits or disability benefit.People who are in work, don’t claim income related benefits but do receive disability benefit can get this.You will need to have a water meter, or agree to have one fitted. If you can’t have a meter fitted, for example because of the type of property) you will be put on an ‘assessed charge’ which will be this reduced bill amount.How do I claim it?Contact Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water or us to apply

  • ​​​​  Customer Assistance Fund

How much is it?It depends on how much you owe to Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water. What is it?It’s to help people who haven’t been able to pay their water bill and owe Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water money. Your budget will be looked at to see whether you may be able to pay off the money you owe within a certain time and if it shows this isn’t possible, you’ll be eligible.A plan is set up where you pay just your normal bill ( a check will be done to see if you could get one of the lower bills as above). After 6 months if you have made all your payments, they will write off 50% of the amount you owe. If you carry on paying for another 6 months they will write off the rest of your arrears. If eligible and you pay for a year, you will not have had to make any payments at all towards the amount you owe,How do I claim it?Contact Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water or us to apply.How do I find out more?Help with bills | Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water ( – Energy efficiency advice and free home improvements:The Nest scheme offers a range of free, impartial advice and, if you are eligible, a package of free home energy efficiency improvements such as a new boiler, central heating or insulation. This can lower your energy bills and benefit your health and 0808 808 2244Cheaper broadband via social tariffsYou may be able to get cheaper internet via a ‘social tariff’ if you are on a low income. More information can be found here:Discounted ‘social tariffs’ for those on certain benefits ( here:UK Government Website, Help for Households year, thousands of people miss out on benefits. Below are some of the main benefits that are underclaimed each year. It is not a comprehensive list and it is recommended that you speak to an advice agency ( eg Citizens Advice or your Housing Association) to check whether you are claiming everything that you are entitled to.You can check you are claiming everything you are entitled to via helpline Tel:0808 8022000If you are facing any issues with benefit claims or payments, please contact my office.

  • Council Tax reduction

You may be entitled to pay less Council Tax if:

  • you live in a low-income household
  • you live alone
  • you are a student
  • you are severely mentally impaired
  • you are disabled
  • your property is empty

Contact your Local Authority for more information and to applyNewport City Council Tel: 01633 656656Monmouthshire County Council Tel: 01633 644644

  • Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living and, if applicable, housing costs.

You may be able to get it if you are working and on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.If you are already receiving benefits, it is essential you seek advice before switching to Universal Credit

  • Pension Credit gives you extra money to help with your living costs if you’re over State Pension age and on a low income. Pension Credit can also help with housing costs such as ground rent or service charges.

You might get extra help if you’re a carer, severely disabled, or responsible for a child or young person.Pension Credit is separate from your State Pension. You can get Pension Credit even if you have other income, savings or own your own home. To apply call the Pension Credit claim line: 0800 99 1234 Disability benefitsIf you have a long term physical or mental health condition you may be able to claim disability benefits. You can claim if you are working and/or have savings as these benefits are not means tested.

  • Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have both a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability,difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your conditionYou can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits.To apply call the Personal Independence Payment helpline: 0800 917 2222

  • Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you. It does not cover mobility needs.To be eligible you must be both over State Pension Age and have a physical or mental disability.The other benefits you get can increase if you get Attendance Allowance.To apply call the Attendance Allowance helpline: 0800 731 0122Find lost pensionsMany people are not receiving personal or workplace pensions that they have paid into. To find out how to contact potential old pension providers please contact the Pension Tracing Service Find pension contact details – GOV.UK ( 0800 731 0193Find lost bank, savings and premium bondsYou may have money in old bank or building society accounts or in National Savings and Investments / Premium BondsYou can trace these accounts for free using My Lost 02039340329GrantsThere are thousands of charitable organisations offering help and support to people who are struggling in the form of grants that do not have to be paid back. Eligibility criteria varies greatly and may depend on employment history, health conditions, union membership, where you live, what you need help with, and many other possibilities.You can check whether there is help available by using the Turn2Us online tool or telephoning their helpline: 0808 802 2000 also administer their own response fund for people who have faced a life changing event in the last 12 months:Turn2us Response Fund – Turn2us Assistance Fund (DAF)

  • Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP)

How much is it?Between £30-£60What is it?A grant to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel if you:

  • are experiencing extreme financial hardship
  • have lost your job
  • have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment

You cannot use it to pay for ongoing bills that you cannot afford to pay.How do I claim it?Anyone can apply for this – you don’t have to be on benefitsThe team in my office can apply for you.Alternatively you can apply yourself online via Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP) or by calling 0800 8595924When will I get it?If the application is agreed you will either get a payment into your bank account within 3 working days or a you will get a text within 1 day that you can take to a Paypoint and be given the cash

  • Individual Assistance Payment (IAP)

How much is it?It is a voucher for specific things you need, not  a cash grant.What is it:A voucher for people on low income and receiving income related benefits to help buy essential items for your home; for example, a fridge, cooker or washing machine and other ‘white goods’ or home furniture such as beds, sofas and chairs.How do I find out more? vouchersHelp is available if you are on a prepay meter and can’t afford to top up.Contact:

  • Citizens Advice
  • Your Housing Association
  • Your energy supplier

Healthy Start VouchersHow much is it?£4.25 each week of your pregnancy from the 10th week£8.50 each week for children from birth to 1 year old£4.25 each week for children between 1 and 4 years oldYour money will stop when your child is 4 years old, or if you do not get benefits that make you eligible.What is it?If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk.If you’re eligible, you’ll be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in some UK shops. You’ll get money added onto your Healthy Start card every 4 weeks.You can use your card to buy:plain liquid cow’s milk / fresh, frozen, and tinned fruit and vegetables / fresh, dried, and tinned pulses / infant formula milk based on cow’s milkYou can also use your card to collect:Healthy Start vitamins – these support you during pregnancy and breastfeedingvitamin drops for babies and young children – these are suitable from birth to 4 years oldHow do I claim it?How do I claim it?Speak to your midwife or health visitorCall 0300330 7010How do I find out more?How to apply – Get help to buy food and milk (Healthy Start)Debt

  • There is always more than one way to deal with debt.
  • It is never too early or too late to seek help.
  • There are lots of organisations who can help you.
  • Never pay for debt advice.

Contact a money advice charity that will be able to help you look at your budget and what options there are for you to sort out your debt.

  • Citizens Advice 77 2020 – Adviceline

  • StepChange

www.stepchange.org0808 808 4000

  • Payplan:

www.payplan.com0800 280 2816 

  • National Debtline 808 4000 

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search